Football Alberta Cancels Summer Programs
It is with much regret that Football Alberta announces the cancellation of the majority of our Provincial Team programs for the summer of 2020. Football Canada made the announcement today that all events our teams would have been participating in this summer have been cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Football Canada Events that have been cancelled as of May 15th are:
– Flag Western Under 16 Regional, August 1st – 3rd, 2020 in Winnipeg, MB
– Flag Eastern Under 16 Regional, August 9 – 13th in Charlottetown, PEI
– Flag National Under 18 and Under 20 Championships, August 9 – 13th in Charlottetown, PEI
– The U16 Western Challenge, July 11-17 at Abbotsford, BC
– The U16 Eastern Challenge, July 13-18 at Sackville, NB
– And the U18 Canada Cup national championship, July 18-26 at UBC’s Thunderbird Stadium at Vancouver, BC.
The women’s national championship originally scheduled for July 30-Aug. 7 in Sherwood Park, Alberta has been postponed. Football Canada will continue to evaluate opportunities to reschedule in the fall or winter.
For Football Alberta this means that the Women’s Provincial team is on hold for now, while the tackle and flag Provincial Teams at the U18 and U16 levels are cancelled. The U17 Tackle Provincial Team that was slated to go to Maui in August is also cancelled due to the uncertainty of international travel as well as the situation in Hawaii where their high school football season is going to be contracted with no exhibition games allowed.
The situation as it applies to football being able to go at the minor and high school levels this fall is in limbo at the moment. Like other sports Football Alberta has submitted a return to play plan for consideration at the Ministry level in Alberta but will continue to adhere to the guidance from Alberta Health Services until they approve any re-opening plan that could see us on field in the late summer or fall.